Power BI does not cease in its efforts to become the favorite tool, if it is not already, of consultants, thanks to its constant and interesting updates.
At InnovAhead, we have already tested and successfully implemented this new functionality for some of our clients. Keep reading and we will explain what Data in Space is and how it can be useful for your business.
Using augmented reality technology, Power BI allows us to pin our reports in physical places, facilitating access to them for any member of the organization who needs to access them.
Many examples can come quickly to mind about where this functionality could be useful:
- The different machines of a packaging company, with the aim that the production managers can review the data associated with that machine.
- The commercial headers of a retail company, allowing sales managers to check the sales of that specific commercial space.
- Entrances to the different departments of a company, providing the necessary information to HR before accessing to them.
Although these are some examples, at InnovAhead we adapt to the specific needs of your company and we can develop the solution that your company needs.
2. What do we need?
In order to use this new Power BI functionality, we need the following:
- Azure: You will need to create an Azure Spatial Anchors resource that we will integrate with Power BI.
- Configure Contributor profiles (those people who are allowed to generate and set reports in space) and readers (users who will only be able to see reports)
- Generate the dashboard we want to publish.
- Choose the right place in the space and pin it.
3. Configuring Azure
3.1. Create an Azure Spatial Anchors account
Use the search box to search for Spatial Anchors and click on Create.
On the Spatial Anchors Account pane, do the following:
- Select the subscription that you want to attach the resource to.
- Create a resource group by selecting Create new. Name it as you prefer, and then select OK.
- Choose an unique resource name.
- Select a location (region) in which to place the resource.
Select Review + create to revise the resource and confirm it.
3.2. Assign Azure roles using the Azure portal
To assign Azure roles, you must have write permissions, such as User Access Administrator or Owner.
Go to the Azure portal.
Use the search box to find the account we created earlier and click on the resource.
Click on Access control (IAM).
Click on Add > Add role assignment.
If you don’t have permissions to assign roles, the Add role assignment option will be disabled.
Use the search box to find Spatial Anchors Account Owner, select it and click on Next.
Click on + Select members, and choose the person on the panel of the right side.
Click on Review + assign. Check that everything is correct and click again on Review + assign.
Repeat the steps above to assign Owner permissions.
Note: This person needs to have Administrator permissions in Power BI.
3.3. Assign Contributors and Readers profiles
To assign the profiles of the people who are going to use this tool, you just have to repeat the previous steps, selecting the profile that best suits each person:
- Spatial Anchors Account Contributor: They can add spatial anchors in the account, but not delete them
- Spatial Anchors Account Reader: They can only locate and read spatial anchors.
4. Set up Data in space for your organization
Click on Data in space.
And select the Subscription, Resource group and Spatial Anchors account we have created in previous steps.
If you get the error “You need Owner permissions for your org’s Azure Spatial Anchors account to make this change” do not worry, Azure Spatial Anchors sometimes takes up to 48 hours to make the owner profile assignment effective.
3. How it looks
Quick and accurate access to your business information has never been easier.
All you have to do is access the Power BI app on your mobile, click on the camera icon and find the report closest to you. Once located, you just have to select it to open it.
At InnovAhead, we have already successfully implemented this solution for some of our clients. Try it out and take advantage of the latest features of Power BI.
As always, do not hesitate to contact us, we will study your particular case and we will give you the best solution.